My brother and I both had bicycles, so I often followed him to a park across the street from our grade school. He was over four years my senior and not thrilled to have his younger sister hanging around, so, I kept my distance — but stayed close enough that I could see him. One particular day, three boys showed up with questionable intentions. They tormented my brother by circling his bike to knock him to the ground, and each circling was increasingly malicious.
Thinking I had superpowers, I raced to his rescue. They thwarted my little sister efforts, so I was forced to run for help and leave my brother to fend off the assault alone. I did not have the power to make a difference.
What tools has God supplied to fight the devil?
As I mentioned in an earlier blog, God gives us tools to fight. Let’s see what those tools are:
Weapons of warfare:
1. Truth… equals Jesus
2. The Word… keeps us grounded
3. Prayer… keeps us connected to the power source.
4. Faith… keeps us from self-dependence
5. Wisdom… tells us how, when, and where.
6. Peace… shows where our strength lies.
7. Strength… keeps us standing.
8. Discernment… points out evil.
9. Love… shows the Holy Spirit’s presence.
10. Light… We reflect God’s presence.
11. Guidance… keeps us on the right path
12. And the promise that He will fight for us.
None of these things consists of material or physical objects for fighting. Every tool is a gift given to us so we can withstand the attacks of Satan. God designed each utensil for defense. Why? He is the one doing the fighting; we are only to be still.
Our Lord of nature has used bees, a donkey, gnats, frogs, the wind, earthquakes, and water to fight for us. He has many means to combat the enemies of His children, but we must understand that we are incapable of conquering.
Our job is to fight the good fight of faith. Trusting in the Almighty will bring victory instead of beating against the wind as I did.
Exodus 14:13-14 (NIV)
13 Moses answered the people, “Do not be afraid. Stand firm and you will see the deliverance the Lord will bring you today… 14 The Lord will fight for you; you need only to be still.”