Day five in a five-day series on hearing God’s voice.
Three women were sitting together when Jesus approached the first lady. She looked downcast when Jesus stopped and put His hand on her shoulder, and leaning over her He whispered something in her ear. He paused again at the second lady and placed a hand on her shoulder but did not speak to her. The last woman Jesus passed by without touching or talking. This story depicts the first person needing to feel Jesus’ touch and receive a word of encouragement. The second women needing only His touch, and the last lacking nothing because of her absolute faith. How is it conceivable for anyone to be spiritual enough to not call for a word from the Lord or His touch on a daily, hourly, minute by minute basis?
Every one of God’s children depends on Him for life which places you and me in tremendous need of hearing His voice and experiencing His presence.
In the first week, the Lord calls us to a quiet meeting place with no distractions. We have considered God’s written Word as being one way of hearing God speak. Prayer’s communion with God being the way to build a relationship that makes hearing possible. Day four we looked at keeping the pipeline between you and God clean of debris that clogs your reception and causes obedience and compliance with His will difficult.
On this series final day. Let’s combine the four days into one meaningful, workable, understanding, of what Jesus is desiring. Jesus’ wants to be with you. He created people for intimacy with Himself, so much so He sacrificed Himself with the possibility of defeat. Emptying heaven to aid you and providing instructions to guide and keep you from failing is the Trinity’s intent. These instructions He communicated to his servants the prophets and apostles to record in a book called “The Word of God.” When reading the Bible, the Holy Spirit speaks to you of truths embedded there. Prayer is your opportunity to respond to what you are learning, or find out what is unclear; Your Q&A time with God. Prayer keeps the line open between you and produces a willingness to accept and apply its teachings determining your success.
You can’t learn to swim while on the beach can you. So, jump in and experience a profound, broader, more complete relationship with your Father the King.
1. Find a place away from distractions.
2. Still your mind.
3. Drink in the word of God. To discover God’s voice, you must take notice of the words He has already declared. Use God’s promises as words expressed to you.
4. Meditate on the concepts and ask for their explanation.
5. Pray fervently.
6. Approach and talk to God as your friend.
7. Interject the Father’s promises into your prayer life and include your name as the one receiving them.
8. Because God cannot lie, you’re confident He receives your petition and will respond in His way and time.
9. Start over as many times as it takes.
10. Be willing to accept what He has to say.
11. Be ready to fulfill any requests. Remember, He asks, not demands.
12. Apply all twelve steps to hear God starting today.
When the Spirit of truth comes, he will guide you into all the truth, for he will not speak on his own authority, but whatever he hears he will speak, and he will declare to you the things that are to come.
But the Helper, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, he will teach you all things and bring to your remembrance all that I have said to you.